If you are in the medical field & have the impending wish to serve the nation by joining Indian Army, nothing can get better than this. The sad part is that many students are unaware of the opportunities stored in serving in Indian Army. This article mainly stresses on the Scope of Medical Students in Armed Forces. We shall be glad enough, if one more medical student feels motivated to join the Indian Army & put their medical services to best use.
Scope of Medical Students in Armed Forces
Mainly three armed forces are present in India which needs the requirement of Medical assistance. Given below are the details :
1. Indian Army
- One can get into Indian Army through NDA exams. (i.e. After 10+2)
- Candidates with or without Physics and Maths in +2 level are eligible for the Army wing of National Defense Academy but you will have to answer a paper of Mathematics along with General Ability Test in the exam.
- The examination is conducted twice a year and are called NDA I and NDA II.
- As far as after Graduation is concerned, Candidates need to qualify in CDS exam and then they need to be recommended by Services Selection Board in SSB interviews.
2. Indian Airforce
- Students having Physics, Chemistry and Biology as subjects in 12th can apply for the post of medical assistant (Airmen) in Group ‘Y’ but there age limit should lie between 17-21 Years.
- The candidate must have passed 10+2 / Intermediate / equivalent exam with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate 50% marks in English.
- Medical students can see themselves placed in Administrative & Logistics Department with Graduate in any discipline with 60% marks in aggregate or post-graduate in any discipline with 50% marks in aggregate.
- Post Graduate degree in any discipline with minimum 50% marks in aggregate.
3. Indian Navy
- Medical students have the opportunity to get recruitment through Army Medical Corps.
- Indian Army Medical Corps recruits candidates as short service commissioned (SSC) officer having age less than 45 years.
- Applicants should have passed Post Graduate degree/ diploma holders e.g. MD/ MS/ MCh/ DM/ DNB/ DLO/ DOMS/ DA.
4. Army Dental Corps
- Candidates must have completed BDS with minimum 60% marks in final year / MDS from a recognized College or University.
- They should lie between the age group of 28 Years (for BDS) & 30 Years (for MDS)
- Candidates must have completed one year rotatory internship recognized by the Dental Council of India.
The Premier Institute which can help out students to pursue their dreams to serve the nation is nothing but the Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC) Pune. The college provides training to under-graduate and post-graduate medical and nursing students with assured career prospects in the defense services.
Medical students who have completed or pursuing 12th can apply for AFMC Pune if they wanted to pursue their carrier in medical department of armed forces. Candidates must note that selection for this purpose shall be purely based on All India Pre Medical Test (AIPMT).