The Indian Railways continue to serve the society as well as the people since ages. This Railway journey is known to promote the vivid interest of common man by means of travelling, comfort level, security provided to its passengers. It intends to provide a facility to the passengers to view the country’s outback, the regional areas as well as coastal towns.
It acts as the perfect means of transportation. to be able to serve the people & nation round the clock, the Railway authority conducts entrance examination for the recruitment of highly efficient & eligible candidates for various openings in the Railway Service. Railway Entrance Examinations are held for selection of Technical & Non-Technical cadres in the Railway Department. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) as well as the Central Government conducts the examinations for the recruitment process of the candidates for various posts.
Let us take a glance at the List of Railway Entrance Exams as well as the eligibility criteria required by candidates to apply for it.
List of Railway Entrance Exams
1. Special Class Railway Apprentices Examination
- Candidates interested in applying for Special Class Railway Apprentices Examination must have cleared the Intermediate exam (i.e. Class 12th exams) or its equvivalent.
- Candidates must have passed Class 12 with subjects like either of Physics and Mathematics or Chemistry and Mathematics.
- Candidates must have passed Class XII exam with a minimum of 50% marks.
- Candidates who belong to the age group of 17-21 years are only eligible to apply for this Special Class Railway Apprentices Examination.
2. Railway Officers Examination
- There are various examinations included for this post such as the Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS), Indian Railways Accounts Service (IRAS), Indian Railway Service of Engineers (IRSE), Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers (IRSSE), Indian Railway Store Service (IRSS), RPF Sub-Inspectors/Constables Examinations.
- In order to appear for the IRAS exam, the candidates should appear for the civil service examination so as to get appointment in these posts.
- As far as the IRSS exams are concerned, all those candidates who are Engineers in the concerned field are eligible to apply for this examination.
- In order to apply for IRSS examination, candidates must have completed the Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized University or Institute.
- It is compulsory that candidates must have completed their Intermediate studies, (10+2) in Science Stream.
After completing their Graduation, candidates can appear for non technical posts such as Assistant Station Master, Goods Guard, Commercial Apprentice, Traffic Apprentice, Junior Accounts Assistant, Clerk cum typist etc..It will be beneficial for the candidates if they intend to complete 1 year Diploma in Rail Transport & Management from Institute of Rail Transport.Along with it, one can also apply for other posts in Railway PSU’s like Railtel, RVNL, IRCON etc..
The selection process of railways involves a written test, followed by a physical test (1500 meters in 6 minutes) and lastly the Personal Interview. The written test involves topics like Aptitude Questions, General Awareness Questions, General English, Reasoning Questions etc..
Thus those who passed the railway entrance examinations with high grade will be appointed in the available vacancies in Railway. The Railways of India come under the Central government. Excellent scale of pay is given to those working in railways. Even though the remuneration is less in the initial stage, with prior experience, they can get promoted to higher grades. They can expect high salaries after promotion.
Let us know how you find our article on the List of Railway Entrance Exams & contribute your thoughts to it. 🙂