Medicine, Psychology, Engineering, Law, IT & many more such options are there to pick from for the students. But, there is this one option, which is unique in its own sense & carries a sense of pride for own’s nation as well-Merchant Navy!!
Merchant Navy is a great career option after XII. This career shall excite all those students who enjoy being a part of long travels, adventures, interested in seeing new places etc.
What is Merchant Navy?
Merchant Navy is a commercial fleet of non-combatant ships, involved in the job of transportation of passengers, cargo & lots of other things via sea which are not possible to transport via road, rail & air. Merchant Navy fleet may include passenger ships, tanker ships, cargo ships, bulk carriers, refrigerator ships, container ships etc.
Eligibility for Merchant Navy
Although Merchant Navy can be joined after Class X as seafarer once a person has qualified for pre sea courses as well as it can be pursued after Class XII as an Officer through Degree or Diploma courses with Nautical (Deck) & Marine Engineering. Unmarried Male & Female candidates are eligible.
All those Candidates applying for Merchant Navy need to be physically as well as mentally fit for performing sea-services under the standard norms.
6/6 without glasses as well as color blindness. The candidates are subject to medical examination.
How to apply for Merchant Navy?
There are numerous courses to join for Merchant Navy after Class X & XII both by government as well as Private groups. Few of the courses can be mentioned below:
- Pre Sea Training (Minimum requirement: Class X with minimum 40% marks aggregate in Mathematics, Science & English as compulsory subjects & age limit of 17 to 25 years)
- Deck Cadet (Minimum requirement: Class XII with PCM as compulsory subjects along with English with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate)
- STCW course This course is meant to be compulsory for every seaman.
- 1 year Pre-Sea Diploma in Nautical Science This Diploma leads to affiliation with Indian Maritime University as well as approved by DG Shipping (Govt. of India) Candidates having passed Class XII with PCM/B.Sc/B.E/B.Tech can apply.
- B.E Marine Engineering This being a four year Degree course in Marine Engineering with eligibility of Class XII including subjects PCM as well as English.
The All India Merchant Navy Entrance Test (AIMNET) is being conducted by Bharat Shipping Limited normally in the month of November-December.
The test is being conducted in order to enroll students for courses like;
- B.Tech Naval Architecture & Ship Building – Candidates must have passed Class XII with PCM & 50% aggregate marks & the maximum age limit criteria is 25 years.
- B.Tech Marine Engineering – Candidates must have passed Class XII with a minimum of 60% marks in PCM & maximum age limit of 25 years.
- B.Sc Nautical Science – Candidates must have passed Class XII with a minimum of 60% marks in PCM & maximum age limit of 25 years.
- MBA Shipping & Logistics – Any Degree is acceptable from a Govt. recognized College/University or candidates who hold a training period of 6 years after Class XII or a Diploma from a recognized Institution.
Please let us know through your views about How to join Merchant Navy after Class XII? Regarding any doubts or queries please approach http://www.careersamosa.com