Indian Institute of Maritime Studies:
The Indian Institute of Maritime Studies is an institute under the Director General of Shipping, India. The institute offers several programs and courses in Marine Sciences and Nautical Education.
The IIMS Entrance Examination:
- The Indian Institute of Maritime Studies use to conduct the entrance examination (up to 2011) for the purpose of admitting candidates to the following programs mentioned below:
- B.Sc (Nautical Sciences) Degree at T.S. Chanakya, Navi Mumbai,
- Polyvalent B.Sc (Maritime Sciences) Degree at Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI), Mumbai for the session commencing in August.
- 4 Year Marine Engineering Degree at Marine Engineering & Research Institute (MERI) Kolkata.
NOTE: There will be no separate individual entrance examinations that will be conducted from the year 2014. From the year 2014 all the candidates shall have to apply for Joint Entrance Examinations, for further and in-depth information on the JEE, please refer to our website www.careersamosa.com or you could also visit the following links that are mentioned at the end.
Eligibility Criteria for IIMS:
(a)IIMS Age Limits:
All the candidates must be born on or after 1.10.1988 and SC/ST candidates must be born after 1.10.83.
- All the candidates should have passed the 10+2 HSC Board Examination with subjects Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, OR
- Any other equivalent Examination from any other recognized Board.
(c) Medical Standards:
- All candidates should be physical fit & mentally prepared for Marine Life.
- All candidates opting to apply for T.S. Chanakya and Polyvalent B.Sc (Maritime Programs) should have 6/6 normal eye vision, and candidates wearing glasses will not be allowed in any circumstances.
- All candidates opting to apply for MERI Kolkata can wear glasses can up to plus/ minus 2.5. Unaided vision can be 6/12 in both eyes minimum and 6/9 in good eye and 6/12 in the other eye at least.
- All candidates that are having defective colour vision will not be entertained at all, for all the three courses.
NOTE: The above eligibility criterion was just in an abridged manner, for detailed and in-depth information, all candidates are advised to read the application form and brochure.
IIMS Intake Capability:
- T.S. Chanakya, Navi Mumbai has a total intake of 156 seats, MERI, Kolkata has a intake of 208 seats and MERI, Mumbai has an intake capacity of 39 seats.
- Out of the total seats available in each of these institutes, 10 seats are reserved for the purpose of foreign nationals.
- The remaining seats are categorized in the following manner 15% are reserved for SC Candidates, 7.5% for ST Candidates, and 18% are reserved for OBC candidates, which belong to the non creamy section.
IIMS Intake for Foreign Nationals:
All foreign Nationals have 10 seats reserved in each of the three institutes’s mentioned above, and these foreign nationals do not need appear for JEE Entrance Examinations. All foreign nationals can directly apply for admission by filing application and upon the payment of US$100 by bank draft, drawn in favour Indian Institute of Maritime Studies, Payable at Mumbai.
Availability of Application Forms:
All candidates can avail the application forms from the address mentioned below:
Indian Institute of Maritime Studies,
T.S. Chanakya Campus,
Navi Mumbai- 400 706
All candidates have to send a self addressed stamped envelope 11”x5” size with stamp worth 55/- along with DD for 300 (general/OBC Category) and (200/- for SC/ST), drawn in favour of Indian Institute of Maritime Studies, payable at Mumbai.
Note: From the year 2012, there are no IIMS Entrance Examinations, since this examination has been replaced by JEE Entrance Examinations. For further information on JEE, you could visit www.careersamosa.com or visit these links mentioned below.
The above article was on the Indian Institute of Maritime Studies, entrance examinations.