The Indian Institute of Technology, which is also very popularly known as the IIT, Mumbai is situated in Powai, Mumbai. This Engineering Institute was established in the year 1958 and was just the second Indian Institute of Technology established in India.
The Indian Institute of Technology (Mumbai) was the 2nd IIT to be established just after the Indian Institute of Technology (Kharagpur). The IIT Kharagpur was established in the year 1951, just 7 years before the IIT Mumbai
The IIT Mumbai was established the help and assistance of the funds that were granted by the UNESCO, as well as some funds and financial assistance from the Government of the Soviet Union. The UNESCO has also contributed some of the equipments for the Institute that too from Russia, along with some experts.
Departments & Centers of the IIT Mumbai:
The following is the list of Departments & Centers of the IIT Mumbai:
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Applied Mechanics
- Department of Bio sciences & Bio engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Energy Science & Engineering
- Department of Urban Studies & Engineering
- Department of Humanities & Social Science
- Department of Industrial Design Centre
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Metallurgical Engineering
- Department of Physics
Programs and Courses Offered by the IIT Mumbai:
(a)Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in the following Streams of Engineering:
- Aerospace Engineering; Chemical Engineering; Civil Engineering; Computer Science and Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Engineering Physics; Mechanical Engineering; Metallurgical Engineering; Material Science.
(b)Master of Technology (M.Tech) in the following Streams of Engineering:
- Aerospace Engineering; Chemical Engineering; Civil Engineering; Computer Science and Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Computer Science and Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Geo-Exploration; Geo-informatics and Natural Resources Engineering; Petroleum Geo sciences; Information Technology; Mechanical Engineering; Metallurgical Engineering and Material Science; Biomedical Engineering; Corrosion Science; Biomedical Engineering; Corrosion Sciences and Engineering; Energy Systems Engineering; Environmental Science and Engineering; Industrial Engineering and Operations Research; Reliability Engineering; Systems and Control Engineering; Nano science.
(c)Dual Degrees -Bachelor of Technology & Master of Technology (B.Tech & M.Tech):
- Aerospace Engineering; Chemical Engineering; Civil Engineering; Electrical Engineering; Energy Engineering; Engineering Physics; Mechanical Engineering; Metallurgical Engineering and Material Sciences.
(d)Master of Science (M.Sc):
- Applied Geology; Applied Geophysics; Applied Statistics and Informatics (ASI), Biotechnology; Chemistry; Physics; Mathematics
(e)Master of Design (M.Des):
Industrial Design; Visual Communication; Interaction Design; Animation
(f)Master of Philosophy (M.Phil):
- Planning & Development
(g)Master of Management (M.Mgmt):
- General Management
(h)Doctorate in Philosophy ( Ph.D):
- All the streams of Engineering; all interdisciplinary subjects, disciplines of Sciences ; humanities and social sciences.
Admissions to the IIT Mumbai:
- All the Admission to the Indian Institute of Technology are done through the Joint Entrance Examinations (JEE for Undergraduate Courses & Programs) and Gradual Aptitude test for Engineers (GATE) Entrance Examinations.