GATE 2017 Exam Pattern
GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. It is an Engineering Entrance Examination, which is Jointly Conducted by The Indian Institute of Sciences (all 8 of them) and the Indian Institute of Technology(all 7 of them). This exam is conducted by these Institutes on behalf of the National Coordination Board, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
It is an Engineering Entrance Examination, which is conducted across India for admitting students to Public Institutes such as the Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) and the Indian Institute of Science (IISs). All admissions to these institutes are based upon the GATE Scores of the Candidate. GATE Scores of all the candidates would be valid for a period of 3 years from the date of the Announcement of the Results.
The Gate results are declared within a month of the conclusion of the exams, these results present the GATE Scores, the Cut Off Marks, All India Rank. Score Cards are presented only to Qualified Candidates. The duration of the examination is for 3 hours and 65 questions are asked, the total comprising of about 100 marks.
The GATE 2017 is conducted through online mode and the candidate can see the questions in a sequence on the computer screen. The candidates are also provided with an answer sheet so as to answer the questions, together with additional rough working paper for computation purposes. Candidates are provided with multiple choice answers to select from them. The GATE score is used for admissions to post-graduate engineering programmes (i.e. M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D) in Indian higher education institutes with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other Govt agencies.
As per the exam pattern prescribed for GATE entrance exam, new amendments have been made for GATE 2017. Let us take a look at the GATE 2017 Exam Pattern.
GATE 2017 Exam Pattern
- Total no. of questions to be asked are 65 which shall carry 100 marks. Out of the 65 questions, 10 questions shall carry 15 marks are included in General Aptitude category.
- Engineering maths shall carry 15% of total marks, General Aptitude shall carry 15% of total marks & the remaining 70% of marks shall be devoted towards the subject of the chapter.
- Multiple Choice questions shall be asked carrying 1 or 2 marks each.
- Candidates must note that the questions shall be based on facts, principles, formulae or laws of the discipline of the paper.
- Comprehension questions shall also be asked which shall test a candidate’s understanding of the basics of his/her field which shall enable him/her to draw conclusions thereafter.
- In case of 1 mark questions, 1/3rd mark shall be deducted for wrong answer. Likewise for a 2 mark question 2/3rd mark shall be deducted for a wrong answer. There is no negative marking for numerical type questions.
To solve any doubts regarding GATE 2017 please write down to us at www.careersamosa.com or go through other related topics such as GATE 2017, GATE 2017 Important Dates, GATE 2017 Eligibility Criteria, GATE 2017 Application Procedure