Career as a Criminologist
Criminology studies issues related to crime and criminal behaviour from scientific viewpoint. It is a discipline evolved from sociology. It is a social science in which sociological theories and methods are used to study criminal behaviour and society’s response towards the crime.
Criminology is the scientific study of criminals, social crimes and criminal behaviour as well as crime prevention and crime regulations methods. It comprises of:
- The inspection of evidence
- Inherited and psychological reasons of crime
- Different forms of conviction and investigation
- Efficiencies of differing styles of punishment, rehabilitation and corrections
Criminology is an inter-disciplinary subject that is derived from its theory from the fields of psychology, sociology and law. There are other areas of interest in criminology such as:
- Criminal Behaviour
- Crime Statistics
- Sociology of Law
- Evaluation of criminal justice agencies
- Criminal desistance and careers
The key job of a criminologist is to determine the reason why people get into committing illegal activities. They usually work on specific type like murders, rape, armed robbery, vandalism and other serial crimes of different types.
Well qualified and expert criminologists get employed as social welfare officer, probation officers, counsellors, jailors etc. They can also work with organizations like IB, CBI etc as well as private detective.
To be a criminologist you should have psychological as well as sociological analytical skills along with the application of science to trace the evidence of crime and reason for it. There are many students interested in this profession of criminology. In India, there are a few institutes/ colleges that provide courses for criminology. Some of the best institutes/ colleges for criminology are listed below:
- Lok Nayak Jaya Prakash Narayan National Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science, Delhi
- Institute of Criminology and Forensic Science, New Delhi
- Tata Institute of Social Science, Delhi.
- University of Madras, Chepauk, Chennai
- Utkal University, Bhubaneshwar
- University of Jammu, Jammu Tawi
- University of Lucknow, Lucknow
- University of Pune Ganeshkind, Pune
- Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences (SHIATS): School of Forensic Science, Allahabad
- Institute of Forensic Science, Mumbai
As a criminologist, a fresher can earn around Rs. 5000/- to Rs. 10000/- every month whereas an experienced person can earn around Rs. 15000/- to Rs. 30000/- every month and more as the experience increases.
This profession of criminology demand a lot of hard work with good research and observational skills. Criminology can be a good career option for those who would like to work for a profession involving different subjects and disciplines.