Horticulture is one of the career options that can be considered by students, on completion of Class XII as B.Sc in Horticulture. The word “Horticulture” revolves around cultivation of flowers, vegetable, fruits, herbs, shrubs, bushes, ornamental trees & landscaping for gardens green houses, gardens, orchards, plantation along with floriculture or cultivation of flowers. It includes various other forms of subjects within horticulture such as; vegetable science, production harvesting, landscape, architecture, plantation crops, floriculture.
Eligibility Course for Horticulture:
To pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, candidates must possess higher secondary education i.e. Class XII pass out with a combination of physics, chemistry & mathematics/biology/agriculture. One can also apply for Bachelor’s in Horticulture or Agricultural Science.
In order to enroll for a Master’s Degree, one needs to complete Bachelor’s Degree with minimum 60% marks. Candidate must have attained Graduation in same or related field.
Scope of Horticulture:
Basically horticulture deals in plant breeding. The course with developments has brought with itself the wide variety of job opportunities in the public & private enterprises. Both public as well as private sectors offer a good remuneration to its employees, private sector comparatively pay higher rewards as compared to public sector. The need for good quality plants, flowers, fruits etc can never came to an end. With advancement of technology, the products seem to undergo upgradation & as a result we are able to get less perishable products now a days. Along with it, the export industry proves to be helpful in building up the amount of available jobs.
For Horticulturists/Landscapers, they can seek for a career in resorts, hotels & in health farms in order to decorate their settings. Post Graduate students can work as supervisors, researcher, distributors & engineers or they also have an opportunity to start their own business.
Various Career Opportunities in Horticulture:
1. Corporations: Agriculturists from this sector can seek employment in Warehousing Corporation & Food Corporation, State Farm Corporation & National Seed Corporation.
2. Estates & Tea Gardens: Also there are opportunities in Estates & Tea Gardens which indeed offer great remuneration.
3. Agricultural Engineering: This zone comprises of conservation of soil, water, power, agricultural machines & farm structures. Engineering Graduates can exploit this field.
4. Agriculture Management: Students having a combined knowledge on management & agriculture are needed very much in this University & can undertake work in estates & tea gardens.
5. Agro Industry Sector: This sector whirls around, dairy processing, meat packaging, grain processing, fats & oil, production, fibers, pesticides & various such other products. There is a greater scope for research in this field. It requires adequate sales, promotion, technologists, scientists.
6. Service Sector: This field concentrates on fertilizers, seeds & chemicals at reasonable price as well as provides quality food products.
7. Self Employment: Like many other industries, Graduates can start his/her own business such as agriculture product shops, agri-base industry etc.
Apart from above options, one can also venture into farming, conservation, seri-culture, agri-business, research, agricultural education, agricultural journalism & much more.
Colleges offering courses in Horticulture:
- Kerala Agricultural University
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
- Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwar
- Annamalai University
- Allahabad Agricultural Institute, Allahabad
- Sri Krishnadevaraya University, Ananthapur
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatre
- Calcutta University, Kolkata
- Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University
Career in Horticulture is truly a pleasant one as the occupation seems to be. As a lesser known career it has got immense scope in India as well as abroad.
Let us know your feedback & views on the same.