Want to become a Fashion Journalist
Fashion journalism is a major part of fashion. With the fashion industry booming in India, there is a growing demand for fashion journalists who can review and report on the latest trends in the industry, apart from offering an insight into this particular sector.
A career in fashion journalism, which may seem appealing to just about everyone interested in the world of fashion, is actually a competitive and monotonous profession. It requires considerable interest in happenings related to all aspects of fashion.
To become a good fashion journalist, fashion critic, or fashion reporter, one needs to be imaginative, inventive, organized, and should possess excellent abilities to look beyond one’s personal experiences and understand fashion in a more wider and diverse context.
As the fashion industry is booming, there is a large demand for fashion journalists. And many youngsters want to get into this profession. To get into this profession, there are many institutes and colleges offering courses for Fashion Journalism; following are few well-known institutes/colleges offering the course:
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Journalism & New Media, Bangalore
- Asian College of Journalism, Chennai
- Mudra Institute of Communication, Ahmedabad
- BD Somani Institute of Art and Fashion Technology, Mumbai
- Manorama School of Communication (MASCOM), Kottayam
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi.
With a degree or course in fashion journalism a fresher get chance to earn salary package starting at 2.5-3.5 lakh per-annum. The job of a fashion journalist can be about writing anything related to brands to styles, fashion trends, reviewing and covering events.
Life as a fashion journalist involves always being on the go with this there a few advantages and disadvantages which are as follows:
- It’s a rush for the people who enjoy it. There’s nothing like working hard to get the story and get it fast.
- Expose yourself to new situations. Covering big stories, weird stories, and inspiring stories really opens up your world.
- Being a journalist sometimes requires you to travel and that’s always fun
- The pride in knowing you’re providing news to the general public
- Being a journalist means so many things now. You can be an anchor, reporter, producer, editor, news director, photographer, etc. So many different jobs in this field.
- Working crappy hours like working overnight on the weekends for 2 years. It sucks, but you have to do it sometimes.
- Depending on the stories you do, sometimes people will hate you! You have to develop a tough skin in the business.
- Journalism is going through a tough time right now because people are getting their news differently. That in turn equals cutbacks and layoffs at a lot of newspapers and stations across the country.
With this you have an idea about what fashion Journalism is all about. Anything and everything written about fashion and fashion related activities can be termed as fashion journalism. Hope this may guide you choose you a good career option.