AMIE is an acronym for Associate Membership of the Institutions of Engineers.
The Institute of Engineers is really a boon for all those, aspiring to be Engineers, but could not pursue their education in full time, regular Engineering Courses. So the institution is itself a worthwhile alternative to those expensive Engineering Colleges and Institutes in India.
A degree obtained from the “The Institution of Engineers” is approved and authorized from the Engineering Bodies and Councils such as the AICTE, UPSC, SSC, State Government & Central Government Departments.
Also, a member from the institute is eligible to appear for all Central Government & State Government competitive examinations. The candidate holding a degree is eligible to pursue his further education in Masters or an MBA.
About The Institute of Engineers:
The Institute of Engineers was established in the year 1920 in Madras, after some the time of its inception it was granted a royal Charter of Incorporation by his majesty King George V of England.
The Institute of Engineers has its headquarters in Kolkatta and administers its subsidiaries and branches, across 18 states & 76 Centres in India. The Institute Centres are situated in most of the towns and cities in the country.
As of this date, the institute of Engineers has evolved into the largest Professional Association with a membership capacity of over 400,000.
AMIE Scheme of Examination :
Institute of Engineers India offers AMIE Program in two sections – Section A and Section B:
- Section A is common for all candidates.
- Under Section B, a member chooses a particular discipline of engineering program. The application forms for enrolment as senior technician (st) / technician (t) members of the institution are received throughout the year.
- Sections A & B examinations of the institution are held twice a year, generally in June and in December and are termed as summer and winter examinations respectively.
- A candidate wishing to appear in the institutions examination should apply first for enrolment as a member using prescribed st / t application form. If he is found eligible for Enrolment as a member, he may be able to appear in the forthcoming examination.
AMIE Eligibility Criteria for different classes of membership
For Technician Members :
A candidate can directly become technician member if he / she has a minimum qualification of a pass in the standard XII examination (45% minimum aggregate).
For Senior Technician Membership :
For selection as a senior technician member or for transfer from being a technician member to a senior technician member, candidates must satisfy the following conditions :
- A minimum age of 18 years on the date of application for selection or transfer.
- He / she should be an engineer by profession working under a corporate member or a person qualified to be elected as a corporate member. The candidate should also be striving to acquire the qualifications for corporate membership (temporary unemployment is not an impediment to being elected).
- The candidate should have passed a diploma examination in engineering or technology or its equivalent recognized by the council, or an examination recognized by the council as exempting from passing section a of the institution of engineers examination in the non – diploma stream.
AMIE Educational Qualification for Technician Membership :
- A candidate who has passed qualifying examination with minimum 45% marks is eligible for enrolling into AMIE program.
- A pass in English is mandatory and aggregate marks in physics, chemistry and mathematics should not be less than 45%.
The following examinations are considered as qualifying examination for AMIE technician membership (the list is indicative) :
- 10+2 or intermediate science examination with English, physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Examination with physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- B.Sc. First year examination with physics or chemistry or mathematics. The candidates should have passed 10+2 or intermediate examination with English, physics, chemistry and mathematics.
- B.Sc. Degree in electronics and computer science conducted at Narmada College of Science and Commerce, Bharuch.
- First year examination of the 5 year integrated engineering degree program or pre or pre – professional examination in engineering : pre – engineering examination.
- Final examination of the two year course (10 + 2 + 3 system) with English, physics, mathematics, chemistry conducted by any state board or any other board of education or any Indian university after 10 years of formal school education.
- The board of apprenticeship training admission examination, west Bengal.
- The first year B.Tech. (education) examination of regional college of education, Ajmer.
- B Arch Preliminary examination of Calcutta University.
- The two – year course carried out by the Indian military academy / national Defence academy, Khadakvasla and Dehradun.
- The vocational higher secondary course from the directorate of vocational higher secondary education, Kerala.
- The senior secondary school certificate examination of national open school, New Delhi.
- Diploma in : diesel mechanics – electrical instrument mechanics – surface coating technology from the board of technical examinations, Maharashtra – vocational training for fitter conducted at Sumant Moolgaonkar Engineering Institute, Kymore, Madhya Pradesh.
AMIE Section A Examination :
- The AMIE section – a examination is held twice in a year – one in summer (May / June) and other in winter (November / December). The exams are separately designed for two streams i.e. Diploma stream (senior technician members) and non diploma stream (technician members).
- The separate papers are offered for diploma stream and non diploma stream.
- Section A examination is common for all those who aspire to become engineers by acquiring an AMIE Basic sciences, engineering sciences and communication are covered to prepare the candidate, after project work, to move on to section b by choosing a particular discipline from among the streams offered.
Subjects in section A examination are :
A. Diploma stream:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Material Science
- Elements of Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Elements of Computer Science
- Society, Environment and Engineering
B. Non – diploma stream:
- Mathematics I
- Mathematics II
- Engineering Drawing and Graphics
- Electrical Science
- Mechanical Science
- Natural Science
- Material Science and Processes
- Fundamentals of Electronics and Instrumentation
- Computer System and Data Analysis
- Engineering, Environment and Society
AMIE Section B Examination :
- After section A, the student has to complete a project work over a period of one year and only on the basis of satisfactory professional competence report, he / she will be admitted to appear for the section b examination.
- This consists of 10 papers of which 7 are compulsory and 3 optional. Currently, the following branches of engineering are covered :
- Chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, electronics and communications engineering, mechanical engineering, metallurgical and material science engineering, mining engineering, production engineering, textile engineering.
AMIE Test Pattern :
Each paper is 3 hours long (unless specifically mentioned otherwise in the list of subjects) the exact dates and other details regarding the examinations like the last date of submission of examination forms, etc., are announced by the institution of engineers in the ‘technicians’ journal.
Test Centers for AMIE Examination :
Examinations “section A and B” are, conducted in :
AMIE International test centrers : Abu Dhabi
AMIE National Test Centres :
Allahabad, Ahmedabad, Bahrain, Bangalore, Bhubaneswar, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Doha, Jaipur, Jamshedpur, Jamalpur, Kathmandu,Kochi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Nagpur,Patna, Pune, Roorkee, Rourkela, Thiruvananthapuram,Tirupathi, Trichy, Vishakapatnam
In addition. Section A Both Diploma and Non – Diploma examination are held in :
Aligarh, Jammu, Jodhpur, Kanpur, Ludhiana, Mysore, Raipur, Ranchi, Shimla, Vadodara, Vijayawada
For further information please contact the below mentioned link:
You could also visit our website www.careersamosa.com for additional information on all upcoming Engineering Entrance Examination for the year 2015.